Announcements: Updates for Visiting Students
- May 22, 2020: Thank you for your interest in Brown. We will not be accepting any visiting students for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- May 7, 2020: We are temporarily suspending all visiting rotations until further notice. We thank you for your patience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please email [email protected].
- April 1, 2020: We are temporarily suspending all visiting student rotations through August 2020. We plan to resume all visiting student rotations in September 2020.
- March 26, 2020: We are temporarily suspending visiting student rotations through at least July 2020. If you wish, you may still apply through VSAS for future rotations and we will keep everyone posted as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
- March 16, 2020: We will begin to review applications. Applications will not be reviewed prior to this date. Applications are processed on a rolling basis approximately 2-3 months prior to each elective start date. We do not look at applications outside of this time frame. For example, if you apply to a December rotation you will not receive a decision until the fall.
All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. Visiting students are prohibited from contacting clinical faculty and/or the department directly.
Inquiries are welcome from 4th-year students currently attending U.S. medical schools who are in good academic standing and wish to participate in our Clinical Elective Programs. We are unable to accept requests for a basic (required) clerkship experience in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry Family Medicine, or Community Health.
Visiting students should apply through VSAS/VSLO. If your school does not use VSAS/VSLO to apply for away rotations, please send us an email at [email protected] and we will send you a PDF application.
Our 2020-21 catalog and requirements have been posted in VSAS. The visiting student course catalog may also be viewed here. What you see on the "Institution Overview / General Application Requirements" page in VSAS is accurate for the 2020-21 year. The application deadline is 45 days prior to the elective start date.
Please be advised that there is a non-refundable $150 processing fee per elective due at the time of acceptance. Please adhere to our schedule of dates (see calendar). Since the availability of particular electives varies, it is suggested that you request alternative electives and/or dates. Rotation start and end dates are fixed and cannot be changed.
We expect visiting students to honor their commitment once they have been accepted to participate in an elective. Students must notify our office via email if they decide to cancel an elective. If we are not notified of the cancellation and the student does not show up for the scheduled elective, the home institution will be notified.
All visiting students must be covered by malpractice or personal liability and health insurance and must submit proof of immunizations with their application. A maximum of three months (12 weeks) may be spent in clinical electives at Brown University. However, visiting students may not participate for more than four weeks in any one elective. There is no tuition charge for a student who is enrolled in good standing at a U.S. medical school.
Housing arrangements are the responsibility of the visiting student. The availability of housing is variable and cannot be guaranteed.
The Visiting Student office can be reached via email at [email protected].
If you are a medical student from an international medical school seeking to do a clinical rotation at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, we can only consider your request if your home institution has a bilateral exchange agreement with Brown.
If you are a student at an international medical school with whom Brown has a bilateral exchange agreement, please note that there are limited openings and you must be nominated by your medical school.